CSS Plugin for Eclipse?

Posted on August 12, 2008 at 6:44 PM in General

I hate Aptana. The damn thing just takes over your Eclipse install and does everything that you tell it not to do. The only thing I ever used it for was CSS code coloring and insight, but today I had enough and uninstalled it. As a result, I am now looking for a CSS plugin again. Any recommendations?

Yes, I am aware of CSS Editor on SourceForge, but it has had no activity in over four (4) years, so it doesn't really seem like a good choice. Any and all recommendations would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Comments
(Comment Moderation is enabled. Your comment will not appear until approved.)

On 8/12/08 at 7:23 PM, todd sharp said:

What do you mean by 'takes over your Eclipse install'? I don't have any problems with Aptana - plus you get the added benefit of AIR support built in. Maybe there is a setting or two you can adjust to make it easier to live with.

On 8/12/08 at 7:32 PM, Matt Quackenbush said:

Todd - In my installations, Aptana does all kinds of things to piss me off, but here are a few highlights:

1) Ignores the setting of whether or not to search for updates. I set it to false, it does it anyways.

2) Ignores the setting of whether or not to notify me of updates and/or news. Same as above.

3) Eats up resources. I only use it for CSS and JS editing, and every time I open one of those two file types, it's about a 30% chance that it'll crash Eclipse.

I don't recall what it was, but there was some setting that I had set in Eclipse that Aptana overruled and ignored. I eventually found it in Aptana and got around it, which is why I don't remember what it was, but it was annoying nonetheless.

As for the AIR integration, I'm sure that would be cool if I were doing anything in AIR, but I'm not, so it's kinda meaningless for me personally. Like anything else, if Aptana works for you, then keep on plugging away with it. I just finally got tired enough of all the crashes and popups, etc. to uninstall.

On 8/12/08 at 7:41 PM, Nathan Strutz said:

Matt,
To a degree, I share your annoyances in Aptana's taking over your IDE experience. That sucks. It just does. Personally, I've learned to live with it, disabling some things and ignoring others (like "Try Pro").
For an alternate CSS editor, have you tried Eclipse's WST CSS Editor? If you download the "Eclipse for Java EE Developers", or install WST separately, "CSS Editor" will be listed as an option when you right-click on a .css file and select "Open With..."
If you haven't upgraded to Eclipse 3.4, this might be your chance, since Aptana is only barely supported on E3.4. Again, get the EE version.
hope that helps.

On 8/12/08 at 9:52 PM, Don Bellamy said:

I agree on Aptana, dont really care for it.

Here is a nice alternative:

CSSEditor

On 8/12/08 at 10:03 PM, Mike Rankin said:

The css editor is built into the base install of eclipse now. It's part of the Web Tools Project.

On 8/13/08 at 10:50 AM, Lu Sancea said:

I only use Aptana for CSS and JS, but the FTP setup is way better than the native ftp in Eclipse. What do you guys do for that? Are you using a separate client for that?

On 8/13/08 at 2:11 PM, kevin ford said:

On the Mac I most often use Macrabbit's CSSedit (http://macrabbit.com/cssedit/) which I got as part of either a Macheist or Macupdate bundle and it almost immediately became my favorite CSS tool of choice (though not free). On Windows, TopStyle has always been a good choice (I've only used the free "lite" version). Outside of those I tend to edit CSS in any of: Eclipse's WST package's CSS editor, Notepad++, TextMate, UltraEdit, or DreamWeaver; depending on what I'm working on at the time as all those do at least some level of CSS syntax highlighting and insight.

On 8/13/08 at 3:04 PM, kevin ford said:

I forgot to mention ActiveState's Komodo Edit (http://www.activestate.com/Products/komodo_ide/kom...). This one's completely free and is does a fantastic job on CSS, HTML, and Javascript. It has very nicely done code insight, particularly in comparison to other many other free programmers editors like Notepad++. It's cross-platform as well (including Linux), which may be important to some.

On 4/3/09 at 4:40 AM, Jnoas Eriksson said:

Totally agree re Macrabbit's CSSedit - on the Mac, this thing rocks - especially useful with its X-Ray mode to see what is going on. Super-useful as well to extract a stylesheet and try things out without needing a local copy of the site.
CodeBassRadio

Latest Articles

Eventually something really brilliant and witty will appear right here.

Calendar

October 2017
S M T W T F S
« Sep
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31

Enter a valid email address.

The Obligatory Wish List